CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 21, 2009

6 people in intimate zone?

Personal space is the region surrounding each person, or that area which a person considers their domain or territory.[1] Often if entered by another being without this being desired, it makes them feel uncomfortable. - wikipedia

Another method of dealing with violated personal space, according to psychologist Robert Sommer, is dehumanization.


i was on my way back home, waiting for the next train from KL central to subang. At 6pm, the station was packed with people, mostly office-goer and student. By large, they were sitting alongside of the chairs provided, with a few lining up at the “green line”. Having cultivated the “line up experience” at sg, I naturally proceed and stood at the line.


610pm, an announcement has been made that the train for 620 is cancel.


640pm, the train arriving. In the shoot of light, a huge crowd rushed up to the line. Forcing us in the front to move forward, there were no such thing as line as everyone was frantically squeezing to the front. I could feel the lady’s breathing down to the back of my neck. A man in suit grabbed and hugged his bag in front, an anxious looking lady griped his umbrella and held across her chest, using it like a shield. I was perplexed by their act, I mean , it is not like they going on war or something.


The train door opened, a uncle holding his wife, sudenely barge in front of me, pushing me away. Few of those men in office suit basically ram into the train, despite the woman in the train screaming no place. Passenger abroad stuck in the motion unable to walk out. It was madness,! Few minutes later, the personnel on duty came to instruct people who still trying to shove themselves to move out of the way to enable passenger to board and the train door to close. A man standing at the edge of the door rim raised his bag above his head for the door to close.


I cant help to notice those that stayed back and gave way to the mad crowd were youngster, or at least same age category with me. I think we’re dumbstrucked seeing those office-goer shoved themselves load themselves into the train. I glanced at her, we both showed a “this-is-madness” expression.


Do we seriously need to pack ourselves to such extreme situation?


Train scheduled at 650pm was cancelled. Why I’m not surprised?


7.10 pm, next train arrived. I'd learnt my lesson and cram to the front line

Door opened. I was pressed on by people moving behind me. a loud cry broke out in front of me. I looked down and realized there were 2 small head cramped in the crowd.


Someone shouted, ‘ADA BUDAK”.


I tried to back up but avail, I couldn’t.


The children’s mother tried to carry both of her children, again, she couldn’t as the crowd still keep pushing. luckily a lady jumped out from her seat and demanded the mother to let her children stand on seat. The children were obviously shocked, and kept crying.


Everyone suddenly turned into a expressionless puppet with stoned gaze. Even the guy who nearly suffocated the child didn’t utter a “sorry”


I stood in the crowd, I couldnt look up as there were a arm stretching in front of me to hold the rail. I couldn’t look straight as I will be starring right into a stranger’s eyes. I couldnt turn to face my right, as there a man with arm extend close to my neck, I couldnt move backward from the lady in front of me as I could feel a lady hand force down on my back. In fact, I was so close to those standing beside me that I could hear their thoughts.


They were saying the same words“ oh god, get to the station I want QUICK”


This must be how my KFC chicken felt when it’s packed container.


I felt violated.


Instead of train, why not just use a huge cargo container and load us in. we may find it more comfortable inside.


Don’t talk about ventilation, as the strong air-con hardly make any dif in such packed train.. The best part is, it started to drip.


Imagine pregnant ladies, children, senior citizens travel on board.


The worst is, imagine those who rely on train day to day to commute to office. ( maybe that;s why they are so good in getting on it-is-impossible-to-fit-in train)


Why we allowed ourselves to be treated in such way?


I bet the mother will think twice before she travel on train with her children.






(p.s I told my parent about the train incident, while I grumble about the inficiency of the train system, they both gave same remark, “haiyah, it is peak hour ma”

apparently during peak hour ,commuters is insignificant and can be allowed to cram up.

Why , don’t nitpick at KXX, they have ‘looked into those issue with great urgency and strive our best to provide the best solution” . if you whine, get a car! Federal highway only need 1hour of jam to travel from kl central to subang. Better than 1 hour + of waiting in line and 40 min packed in hell

the most saddening part is, people would go on saying, “this is Malaysia mar”)

5 comments:

zhenlin said...

I also very geram msia transport system already liao. Thursday i leave my home 530 and reach school at 7; friday i leave at 445 and reach Fireman 620. The distance is just KL-PJ, and it took more than an hour. We can reach from west sgpore to east sgpore in just 30-45 seconds. What a big contrast.

Blogger said...

haha!i used to take ktm fr upm to kl sentral,i had missed two train bcoz i was "pushed away"by those people!if driving fr my house to upm onli take 35min,but if i take public transport,it takes me around 2hours!n lrt is better than ktm.

leong,michelle said...

aiks... *shake head*

bEar said...

hahahas love ur analysis

Amilyn said...

michelle for prime minister! lol.

in general, people just go "it's malaysia mar" because most have tried, and most have failed. what can we do to change the way things are?

when most have failed, most move out of malaysia. others, like your parents, get used to it. "it's peak hour mah!"